Whisky Brand - Single Malt
Bowmore was officially founded in 1779 and was the first distillery on Islay to receive a licence. It is believed that the distillery’s founder, David Simpson, had been distilling in Bowmore since shortly after his arrival on Islay in 1766. it is located in the centre of the island capital of Bowmore, fronting the western shore of Loch Indaal, a sea loch opening into the Atlantic Ocean. The distillery was established by local postmaster and ferry operator David Simson, who had previously distilled at Killarow, near Bridgend, three miles from the village of Bowmore. Simpson operated Bowmore until 1837, when he sold it to Glasgow-based W& J Mutter, previously proprietors of Jura distillery. Later notable Bowmore owners were JB Sherriff & Co, who ran it from 1925 to 1950.